Your webcam spying on you seems closer to an absurd prank than a real security threat, isn’t it? But a quick sweep of articles from reputable news outlets online can easily prove this to be true. As a side note, have you seen Mark Zuckerberg’s webcam cover yet?
As your reliable provider of IT solutions in Riverside, California, we at Advise IT Solutions want you to stay safe and secured. Read below to know how you can protect yourself.
Let’s begin with knowing how webcam spying works.
Webcam spying works through a spy malware or a remote access trojan (RAT) that are typically installed in your computer via freeware, spam emails, fake website links, and infected attachments. This malware is then able to remotely control your computer—viewing your messages, reading your online activities and transactions, capturing screens and keystrokes, and yes, turn on your webcam without you knowing it.
It’s a serious problem that needs serious solutions so much so that you’ll be hard-pressed to find any company that doesn’t employ the best practices in webcam security.
So, how do you protect yourself? No, the classic tape to cover your webcam isn’t enough.
We’ve worked with the best IT consulting companies in Moreno Valley and the strategies have always been aimed at eliminating and/or blocking the malware in the first place.
- Do not download attachments easily, and even freeware, for that matter
- Hover over external links to see where they will take you
- Install an excellent antivirus and business software system and firewall
- Install an operating system, browser, and software patches
- Work with a reputable IT services management in California to ensure you have up-to-date and top-notch antivirus and malware security.