Almost a year and a half ago, many organizations who were just returning from their weekend-off were shocked, to say the least, to find thousands of their computers infected by WannaCry ransomware.
Advise IT Solutions, a reputable provider of IT services management in Moreno Valley, California, guides you through WannaCry prevention and remediation measures. With the worm continuing to spread to vulnerable windows devices, you should not hesitate to arm your systems as early as now. How about if your device has already been infected? This article will cover that too!
For devices that haven’t been contaminated by the worm, here are some immediate steps to be taken:
- WannaCry virus attacks can be thwarted by installing the Microsoft patch. You’ll easily be able to find it online.
- The Microsoft patch may also affect your software build, so if you haven’t tested it yet, make sure to disable Server Message Block 1 or SMB1 network file sharing.
- Firewall ports 139 and 445 may have to be closed as SMB is making use of these ports.
There are also steps for long-term protection that you can take.
- Network segmentation. It will limit contamination in certain areas, making them easier to remediate.
- You should be quick about setting up programs to patch.
- Implement the lowest permission level and application access controls.
The following actions should be taken for machines that are already infected:
Wipe affected machines on your back up and rebuild them. It’s also important to patch them before going online.
- Protecting Your Machines
What machines are vulnerable to WannaCry ransomware infection? Machines with operating systems Windows Vista through 10 and 2008, 2012, and 2016 Windows servers are more likely to be exploited because of their vulnerability. However, you can take advantage of the complete lists of Microsoft patches, including one for Windows XP, to prevent WannaCry contaminations on your machines.
- Partnering with the Right Company
These all sound like simple enough steps to follow when you consider the great importance of your machines and computer systems, and how valuable they are to your career or business. Having said that, you also want to make sure that steps are carried out in the most efficient ways. Advise IT Solutions, a renowned provider of IT solutions in Riverside, can assist you in ensuring that the WannaCry preventive and remediation measures are followed to save you from a lot of the trouble the virus can bring.